Thursday 3 September 2009

Freakonomics

I also finally got around to reading Freakonomics, a book I thoroughly enjoyed. Although it reads more like a series of articles, this structure is outlined from the off; the authors instead intend to make their point by encouraging the reader to change the way they think. I appreciated the avant-garde approach to economics which reminded me of a book I read a few years ago called The Undercover Economist. Each chapter aims to establish a link between two seemingly unrelated variables, such as abortion and crime rates. Occasionally, I found the book to be a tad smug. It was sometimes like listening to a cynical child who believes he has the answer to everything. However much of the content was logical in its argument and I would definitely recommend it.

Rating: 4/5

No comments: